Reintegration & Recovery >> Therapeutic Alliances
Preparing for your Appointment
The Treatment Team Checklist
Here are four sets of questions you may take with you when you visit your doctor, pharmacist, therapist, or case manager. They are intended to make your discussions with these professionals more productive. Please keep in mind these are just examples. You may want to add many other questions for your individual situation. Click on the following links to see questions you might want to ask:
Questions for Doctor
- Why do I have schizophrenia?
- How can I tell the difference between symptoms of anxiety and a relapse?
- What should I do if I start hearing voices or if other symptoms come back?
- If my symptoms return, does that mean I will have to go back to the hospital?
- What should I do if I can't feel my medicine working?
- Is it OK if I drink an occasional beer or glass of wine?
- What causes some people to have a relapse, even when they are taking their medication?
- If I start hearing the voices again or having problems with my thoughts, does that mean I will never get better?
- If I miss a dose of my medicine, should I double it at the next dosing time?
- How long do I have to take this medicine?
- What can I do to manage weight gain?
- Will this drug affect my sex life?
- I would like to get pregnant; how will my medicine affect my developing child?
- If I have a child someday, what are the chances he/she will have schizophrenia?
Questions for Therapist
- How should I go about telling my girlfriend/boyfriend that I have a mental illness?
- What can I do to find someone to date?
- I have never had an intimate relationship with someone before, but I'm scared of trying to get close to someone. What can I do?
- I want to get closer to my family. How do I start?
- How do I overcome my fear about talking to other people?
- I can't get motivated to exercise, even though I know it would make me feel better. What should I do?
- What goals should I be setting for myself?
Questions for Case Manager/Social Worker
- How can I find out about getting Social Security benefits?
- I would like to go grocery shopping. Can you help me get started?
- I am moving into a group home. Can you give me some advice on this?
- What can I do to keep my stress level down?
- Can you help me get a job?
- How can I convince employers to hire me even though I have a mental illness?
- What should I tell my employer about my illness?
- How can I get help paying for my medicine?
Questions for Pharmacist
- Why do I have to take my medicine at the same time every day?
- What can I do to help remember to take my medicine?
- Are there certain foods or over-the-counter medicines I should not take with my medication?
- Do I take this with or without food?
- Can I drive and take this medication?
- Who can explain the written information that comes with my prescription?
- Can I drink alcohol with this medication?
- How can I tell which side effects of my medication are serious and require my doctor's attention?